A blog detailing our collection of Peter Powell kites, and chronicling our flying of these kites. Plus a bit of PP kite history thrown in. Our collection to date stands at 77 kites and can be seen here. I am keen to expand the collection, so if you have an old Peter Powell kite, whether made in the UK or the US, gathering dust and looking for a new home, why not get in touch? Depending on the kite (does it bring something new or different to my collection?), its condition (is it flyable? how much TLC does it need?), and the price you ask (+ shipping if from outside the UK), we may well be able to do a deal.

Monday 25 April 2016

Queen promo

Surfing the web, I stumbled across this picture of a Peter Powell Stunter, promoting the rock band Queen.


At first, it wasn't clear to me whether this was an official Queen promo item, or whether a fan had simply stuck a 'A Day at the Races' sticker on a kite. But then I came across two detail pics, and it does appear that this Peter Powell kite was official Queen promotional material.



Posting the pics on the forum of the official Queen web-site, and asking for more information, resulted in exactly zilch. Paul Powell told me he had never heard of this kite, so the story behind this special and unusual Peter Powell kite remains to be uncovered and written.

Needless to say, I guess, but if anyone has one of these Queen promo kites, gathering dust and looking for a new home among other Peter Powell kites, let me know, ok?

And now, indulge me please, from 'A Day at the Races':


Update: acting like the proverbial buses, another Queen promo PP kite popped up on eBay a few days after I published this blog post. Starting bid? £150 ... Well, I'd like to be able to add a Queen-branded Peter Powell kite to my collection, but not that much! Bidding ended with a single bidder snapping up this rarity for £150.



Update 2: many thanks to a reader of this blog who sent me a bit more information on this kite: "It was an item you could order through the Queen Fan Club back in early 1977. I have a link to a video that shows an order form from that time. At about twenty seconds in you can see a graphic of the kite too."


Update 3: I stumbled across one of these kites being auctioned at Bonhams as part of a job lot of Queen memorabilia; don't know the specific date or year. The lot as a whole went for £200; no clue as to what the kite would have fetched on its own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment