A blog detailing our collection of Peter Powell kites, and chronicling our flying of these kites. Plus a bit of PP kite history thrown in. Our collection to date stands at 77 kites and can be seen here. I am keen to expand the collection, so if you have an old Peter Powell kite, whether made in the UK or the US, gathering dust and looking for a new home, why not get in touch? Depending on the kite (does it bring something new or different to my collection?), its condition (is it flyable? how much TLC does it need?), and the price you ask (+ shipping if from outside the UK), we may well be able to do a deal.

Saturday 17 August 2019

Two more PP quads

If you've been following this blog, you may be aware that the US arm of Peter Powell Kites produced two quad-line kites: the Double D and the Omni.

Neither of these two kites are commonly offered for sale nowadays, so when I had the chance to get my hands on a second Omni, for a very reasonable price, and in a colour scheme different from the Omni I already had, I couldn't let the opportunity pass. Especially since the kite came with the handles that the Omni was originally sold with.



Like my first Omni, flight is very twitchy (which may, of course, say something about my quad-flying abilities ...).


The seller also had a Double D, which he was willing to throw in for not very much. Even though the kite had the same colour scheme as the Double D already in my collection (I've never seen a picture of a Double D with a different colour scheme, to be honest), it came with the original Double D handles, so in a moment of weakness ....



Flight is clearly more stable than the Omni, matching my earlier experience flying a Double D.


Of course, having two Omnis and two Double Ds now, I had to fly the two pairs!


It's difficult to fly a quad and take pictures at the same time!




Given the twitchiness of especially the Omnis, it's not very likely we'll ever fly PP quads in a festival routine ...

No comments:

Post a Comment