A blog detailing our collection of Peter Powell kites, and chronicling our flying of these kites. Plus a bit of PP kite history thrown in. Our collection to date stands at 77 kites and can be seen here. I am keen to expand the collection, so if you have an old Peter Powell kite, whether made in the UK or the US, gathering dust and looking for a new home, why not get in touch? Depending on the kite (does it bring something new or different to my collection?), its condition (is it flyable? how much TLC does it need?), and the price you ask (+ shipping if from outside the UK), we may well be able to do a deal.

Saturday 30 November 2019

Hamleys PP

I've been able to add a small handful of vintage branded Peter Powells to the collection: Round Table, BP and Poppins. There definitely were more, the most famous of them being a Queen-branded PP, which does occasionally pop up on eBay with ridiculous asking prices.

All these branded PP are Mk I kites, and I didn't know vintage branded Mk II PPs existed until I saw one listed on eBay, promoting the Hamleys toy store. Do I need to say specifically I got it for not very much at all?

The kite came in its original sleeve, judging by the sticker, and it even had the Hamleys price tag still on it. Kite cost £9.50 back then; pity it's not clear exactly when that was ...










Price increases aside, here's my Hamleys PP in the field, ready to fly.


Wind was a bit flaky and variable, but it did manage to take off.


It struggled a bit in the variable wind, but flew as you would expect from a vintage PP, watched by some of Stoney Cross Plain's resident horses.






No comments:

Post a Comment