A blog detailing our collection of Peter Powell kites, and chronicling our flying of these kites. Plus a bit of PP kite history thrown in. Our collection to date stands at 77 kites and can be seen here. I am keen to expand the collection, so if you have an old Peter Powell kite, whether made in the UK or the US, gathering dust and looking for a new home, why not get in touch? Depending on the kite (does it bring something new or different to my collection?), its condition (is it flyable? how much TLC does it need?), and the price you ask (+ shipping if from outside the UK), we may well be able to do a deal.

Tuesday 28 December 2021

One new, one old

Been really quiet on the Peter Powell blog front, simply because there hasn't been any addition to the collection since March this year. But that has now changed, as I've been able to add not one, but two Peter Powell Stunters to it!

For health reasons, a dear friend of mine had to give up his kite collection, with many of his kites ending up with me. And among those were two Peter Powell Stunters, a Mk III and a Mk I. We went out to fly them yesterday, in a blustery 6-16mph wind. 

First the Mk III. Standard colour pattern in black with flo green stripes and a black tail.

It flew really well in the prevailing wind.


The Mk I is an unusual one: it has a green polythene sail. Have seen plenty with black, yellow, blue or red sails, and I have all those in my collection, but I have never come across a Mk I with a green sail.


 It struggled a bit to climb when the wind dropped, but once flying, it performed well.



Of course, we had to fly the two together; would be rude not to!




What become clear when flying the Mk I and Mk III side-by-side is that the Mk III steered much better. But it was nice to see a new and old Peter Powell Stunter in the air together!

No comments:

Post a Comment