A blog detailing our collection of Peter Powell kites, and chronicling our flying of these kites. Plus a bit of PP kite history thrown in. Our collection to date stands at 77 kites and can be seen here. I am keen to expand the collection, so if you have an old Peter Powell kite, whether made in the UK or the US, gathering dust and looking for a new home, why not get in touch? Depending on the kite (does it bring something new or different to my collection?), its condition (is it flyable? how much TLC does it need?), and the price you ask (+ shipping if from outside the UK), we may well be able to do a deal.

Monday 5 November 2018

Building a Skychaser stack

A little over a year ago, I got my hands on the second-smallest Peter Powell delta: the Skychaser. As I mentioned in that blog post, because Skychasers were very much promoted as a stackable kite, I would keep my eyes open for more Skychasers, with the aim of gradually building up a Skychaser stack.

My eyes had to remain open for quite a while, but eventually they did spot (and got hold of) a second Skychaser, so I now have a 2-stack of them!


As the kites are quite small (1.26m wing span), I made a set of relatively short stacking lines, but the only way to test whether stacking lines are the correct length is of course to fly the stack.


They really flew well stacked, and it appears my choice of stacking line length was pretty much spot-on.


In my earlier blog post, I described the Skychaser as a zippy kite, and that zippiness remains a characteristic when stacked. They respond well to input, without much oversteer. Obviously, small as they are, even as a stack they hardly develop any serious pull.

I will be looking to add more Skychasers to the stack, so my eyes will have to remain open for the foreseeable future. See how far I get!

No comments:

Post a Comment